About Spencer Beach Park (Ohaiula Beach) on Kohala & North Island, Hawaii
Ohai’ula Beach at Spencer Beach Park is an excellent sandy beach that is popular with families. It is located just north of Mauna Kea Resort and ten miles downhill and west of Waimea.
Spencer Beach Park is a county-operated park that includes the popular swimming beach and many other amenities. Lifeguards are staffed on weekends and holidays from 9:30am to 4:45pm. Sunbathers can usually find a spot on the beach, but it is popular on sunny weekends. Grass lawns are maintained for those who just want to relax in the park away from the sand. Large trees throughout the park and behind the beach help save on sunscreen. Picnic tables are provided throughout the park near the beach and in the grassy areas.
If you want to stay longer than just the day, camp spots can be reserved online through the county website. Hotels are available up in Waimea.
Those who want to stretch their legs and go for a hike can walk north into Puukohola Heiau National Historic Site which has several trails (and an excellent visitor center). Another option is to walk south on the Ala Kahakai National Historic Trail (coastal trail) that leads to hidden Mau’umae Beach that’s usually less crowded.
- Kawaihae Road & Spencer Beach Park Rd
Waimea, HI 96743
- Park Name
- Samuel M. Spencer Beach Park
- Other Names
- Ohai'ula Beach, Waikui Beach
- Pet Details
- No dogs allowed at county beach parks
- Free day-use parking, fees for camping permits
- Camping, Swimming, Snorkeling, Fishing, Basketball, Volleyball, Picnicking
- Campground, Lifeguards, Picnic Tables, BBQs, Covered Pavilion, Restrooms, Showers, Drinking Water, ADA Access, Basketball Court, Paved Volleyball Court
4.6 miles away
The Malama Trail is your access trail for Puako Petroglyph Archaeological Park. In the park you’ll be able to...
There are no reviews yet. Be the first one to write one.